Saturday 12 May 2007

Looking up...

Tuscan Tony's engineer brother mentioned that the best way to see London is to look up, as the facades on the streets will change, but the upper storeys will stay roughly the same as they were when they were built.

I agree with that!

At the risk of sounding like Prince Charles, many of the buildings put up since the nineteen-twenties, lack the care, style and detail of their predecessors.

I reckon that the architects of some of the monstrosities designed in the nineteen-sixties and seventies, (the most underdemolished period in commercial design), should be made to pay for their removal, and never allowed near a building site again. Luckily, they don't get away with that sort of thing any more.

However, I still have palpitations in the gussett region, when I recall looking up seeing chaps casually sitting on the parapets in Regent St, when I (with millions of others), cheered the World Cup Rugby team's bus tour!

No comments: