Sunday 27 March 2022

Stone-cutters and their quirks...

 


Walking with New Dog through the churchyard the other day, not far from 'The Bells', which was closed as it was 7.00 am, it crossed Scrobs' mind that the abundance of stone everywhere, as on graves, the tower, the nave etc, must have beena monumental task when such items were being constructed.

There is one grave where the blargs are convened to a nadger in all four corners, and these are clearly replicated from the widgers which are complacent to the lunges at the perspect of the bell-tower, thus imaging some detail like the worgles on St Pauls!

It always amazes me that flungers and plindles are so relevant to 18th century stone-cutting! A well-known local historian, Dr. Norbert Sorbert-Flange, has managed to collect many examples of the mason's skills, and indexed them in order, from the Ablocidicle to the Zongular pedestal, and well worth a read at some stage preferably a year or so after death!

Meanwhile, New Dog has managed a huge packet up against the tomb of a local farmer, so I'd better continue this discussion when you have less time...

8 comments:

Doonhamer said...

I am reminded of Rambling Syd Rumpo, or even Professor Stanley Unwin.
Later I will find out if you are educating me or tugging my tibia.

A K Haart said...

We were strolling through a Victorian churchyard only a few days ago. What struck us about those Victorians was the size of their throllops. You don't see that these days.

James Higham said...

"flungers and plindles"

Important stuff.

Thud said...

You are obviously on the square given your deep deep knowledge.

Scrobs. said...

Dooners, a 'Grunciblens Tibia' is never seen on stone buildings these days, mainly because the Latin translation was lost during the Reformation, and nobody knew how to form one!

It's interesting to note your concern, and will require a quick look under 'T', on the good Doctor's manuscript!

Thank you for the reminder!

Scrobs. said...

'Throllops' were designed in several sizes, AKH!. The largest was somewhat similar to a plaster bust of the Late Princess Margaret, while the smallest is ensconced within the vestry of the local priest, who only uses it occasionally these days, on him being well over 80 years of age!

I'll ask him next time I see him!

Scrobs. said...

"Flungers and plindles" became popular around the 1700s, James, mainly to hold back the gargoyles which decorated the crabbicles at the overhang!

They're mainly decorative these days, as most of the gargoyles have broken off, causing three decapitations, a fallen arch and one embolism to various members of the congregation!

Scrobs. said...

Thud, you never know these days, do you!

The numbers of sheep I've herded across London Bridge is forgettable, but as I never learned the craft, I was told that I'd never get on if I didn't, so that's why I never got on...

...if you see what I mean...

(You've got a noggle in your swimming pool I believe! Does Mrs Thud know)?