Tuesday 22 June 2021

Birdsong and 'The Supernatural Anaesthetist'...

Elder Daught (ED), came up with an interesting theory over the weekend.

I asked her why I keep hearing - in my head - the seminal song from 'The Lamb lies down on Broadway', 'The Supernatural Anaesthetist'!




Now ED knows a fair bit about this fabulous album; she actually made a professional study/programme about the story, while at college, and that was from a copy of a copy of a tired old cassette tape I had given her! I still love the introduction chords, and still can't play them like Steve Hackett...

But she suggested that the 'earworm' I am getting constantly, is because of Summer birdsong! Now this is interesting, because around here at any rate, the birdsong about now is terrific, with young birds and exhausted parents (feathered), rushing about everywhere, and she may well be right! But I've yet to identify which bird it it's coming from, so may have to ask Bill Oddie!

An interesting take on all this, is that from December onwards, the earworm is in fact a short guitar riff by Sparks, around 60 seconds in...




It's a Coaltit!


 



2 comments:

A K Haart said...

The birdsong in our garden is very pleasant at the moment. It doesn't remind me of music though because the magpies keep butting in.

Scrobs. said...

They're just tone-deaf, AKH, hence the B flat being unheard, and the A min being predominant in the middle fifth!

Blackbirds are the best songsters, and as our holly tree has gone now, after being ravaged by pikeys one Christmas, we also lack a decent songthrush, sadly...

We still get the pigeons though, hence the recall of the early pieces on Kate Bush's fabulous song 'Aerial'...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SLeyuKiMosY&ab_channel=mikestager

I just love it still!