Saturday 5 December 2020

Post post...

 


The cost of stamps is going up yet again in January!

A recent report by The Post Office claims that this hike is necessary, as they have made huge losses throughout the year, and have had staff laid off, etc.!

I just don't understand this, as 2020 has been the year of isolation, unwillingness to venture out and a preference for delivered items from food to books, but somehow the Post Office has still made a big loss! Surely the other delivery companies have been lapping up the business; you can't turn a corner without seeing a Hermes or Yodel van parked in the road, and yes, the post office do have their own parcels group, so where's the problem?

I know they do a bit of local resourcing with good banking and bill-paying, but our post office closed for good, and only reappeared begrudgingly, as a sideline in a local supermarket, but why do home postal deliveries have to cost so much now?

Answers on a postage stamp please!

6 comments:

A K Haart said...

Royal Mail seems to be stuck with the problematic part of the business, universal postal delivery. It will be interesting to see what Christmas card numbers are. Instead of a Christmas card I'm just sending a chatty email to former work colleagues this year. One chap has already set the ball rolling and an email does seem more personal than a few lines on a Christmas card.

Mind you - so far it's taking me longer to compose the email than it would have taken to write the cards.

E-K said...

I suppose they have competition with Moonpig etc. I tried to post an 8k parcel and the PO wanted nearly £100 compared to £12 with DPD.

Goosegirl said...

Having just bought quite a lot of first and second stamps for Xmas and thereafter, I suppose there won't be any stamps of an intermediate cost to make up for the difference in price so I might just invest in a couple of trained pigeons to deliver my post instead.

Scrobs. said...

I like the idea of emails, Mr H, but Mrs O'Blene refuses to do that - I think she's right however, as cards are an integral Christmas decoration, and we still have lots of favourites to show every year!

Scrobs. said...

Elecs, the PO charged me a huge dollop of cash to send something on Ebay!

I made a huge loss on that particular sale!

Scrobs. said...

Pigeons are a reasonable bet, GG, but if the need for more delectable Christmas fare continues, I can hear the shots coming from the woods over here...