Tuesday 26 December 2023

Home from work, our Juliet...

http://www.houseofagnes.co.uk/discover-more/

Back when Scrobs was a working man, the three days beween Christmas and the New Year were always spent back in the office!

It was a simple equation, I wanted the three days holiday to be spent, well away with my family in the Summer, when they were younger, and not sitting huddled around the fire in winter with the presents, the blasted BBC etc.!

So, I always elected to go into the office, and prepare for the coming year, by organising diaries, programmes, work charts etc., and spend - oh - about an hour doing this until my Senior Partner would always pop into my room and ask if it might be a good time to sidle next door for a snifter or three!

And so we did! Every year!

http://www.houseofagnes.co.uk/

We did more work then that we ever did during the year, what with planning, working the details of the development sites, getting paid, getting sloshed, and we always felt an achievement from those few days of calm and introspection!

I somehow miss those days, as we were very good friends, and he was a generous man who appreciated the graft I put up for our business. 

I wish you well, Roger!


2 comments:

A K Haart said...

I also went into work during those three days, did that for years. Quiet on the roads, a relaxed atmosphere at work and odds and ends cleared out of the way.

Scrobs. said...

Yes, the roads were just about empty, and a swift return each evening was the norm - I'd forgotten how easy it was to get into and out of Canterbury back then!

We were occasionally joined by a few others from the firm, and there was always so much agreement on the next year's work, displayed in a post-prandial stupor! We liked it so much, we always carried on doing this for the rest of the following year...