Thursday 21 December 2023

Dear ol' Christmas...


I guess it was always going to happen...

I even planned a spreadsheet to work out the best days to go shopping, to get the best discounts etc., and all looked well - on paper...

So, after getting the worst cold I can remember, plus the mother of coughs, I generously passed this on to Senora O'Blene. Luckily, I managed to get the antibiotics (Wendy, you're a Starlet, and I owe you), to allay the infection which normally occurs after three weeks, and yours truly was well away, but not the Senora! She succumbed major-big time and was very, very poorly.

Just about then, the washing machine succumbed to the 10 year stretch, and after finding the kitchen with an inch of water all over the tiles, a quick investigation showed a leak in the water feed, and I assumed everything would be okay after getting a new hose.

A management Guru once told us that, "Assume means 'You make an ass out of me'" And he was bloody well right, as the water leakage had plunged the electrics into inconsistency, and kicked the whole shebang into touch!

So...

Senora O'Blene had a fall and landed up in A&E with the nasty infection, I stayed at home with the detritus resulting from no washing facilities, and now the dear little dog has the squitters, and refuses to eat!

Scrobs takes charge - well, something to ease the pain, and a new washing machine is planned for delivery on Saturday. Senora O'Blene is at home again, but Lily is still being sick everywhere! And to add insult to injury, I decided to clean the carpets with the Vax machine. The downstairs carpets are ravishingly beautiful now, without a stain! The decision to use the stairlift to get the Vax upstairs (it's a bit heavy), proved to be quite wrong, as halfway up, the handle hit the ceiling, (building regs for staircases were not as good back then), and cracked the handle very badly...

Out into the shed, and a bit of Heath Robinson glueing and a splendid Jubilee clip, and somehow, it seems, (the operative word), to be OK! I sodding well hope so, as two big appliances being fucked up in just a few days is a bit of a bugger to be honest! And I have all this soiled stuff, cushions, rugs and the carpets to clean and wash on Christmas Eve - if the new washing machine works that is, and the Vax still does the business?

And ED, (Elder Daughter) is supposed to be coming over tomorrow, we're so looking forward to seeing her, and all the food and drink has to be lined up by 11.30am...

Bugger!

6 comments:

A K Haart said...

I hope everything works out, these things do seem to come together but that lot sounds a good deal worse than usual. Still, if Jehovah's Witnesses come to your door just now, I bet they decide never to come again.

DiscoveredJoys said...

Best wishes for a fully applianced Christmas.

But... I've noticed that appliances fail in threes, there's no scientific justification for this observation so I hope you disprove the theory.

The Jannie said...

You're not alone: our tumble dryer's belt tensioner squeaks and it's almost a full strip down to get to it so I'm putting it off as long as possible.. The fun is that it's driving my daughter to distraction while we oldies can only just hear it!

Happy Christmas, everyone!

Sen. C.R.O'Blene said...

Ha ha ha, AK!

Resolution is in place as we speak, and I'm waiting for the new machine as we speak! He's due before 1.00pm...

As for the Vax, I managed to mend it with some strong glue and a Jubilee clip, and it actually still works perfectly, thank goodness!

Sen. C.R.O'Blene said...

That's very true, DJ, and I've been pondering the three strikes rule as well...

I met a good friend in the lane the other day, and she made me think of various 'trios' in things going on, and we to six!

Actually, it's turned out that I've had the three, because I couldn't get the printer to work, a week or so ago, and now it has a shiny new cable, voila, it's mended!

Phew...

Sen. C.R.O'Blene said...

Ha ha ha, TheJ!

Our's used to squeak as well, as did our backsides when we realised how expensive it was to run, so we gave it away eventually...

I'm always nervous in saying there's light at the end of the tunnel, in case it's a bloody great express train coming at me, full pelt!

Happy Christmas to you as well!