Monday 20 February 2023

Why Solomon Grundy...

I am confused...

Instead of having a musical 'earworm', where a song or theme continues to go round and round my head in a loop, I have this one...

Solomon Grundy,

Born on a Monday,

Christened on Tuesday

Married on Wednesday,

Took ill on Thursday,

Grew worse on Friday,

Died on Saturday,

Buried on Sunday,

That was the end of 

Solomon Grundy!

I first saw this pinned to the wall at school, around 1959, and it was written in his best handwriting by a younger chap called Bill, who sadly popped off with a dreadful disease a few years ago, but he certainly wasn't to know that when he wrote it!

There might be a connection with the TV presenter, another Bill, Grundy, who had a hard time interviewing John Lydon (Johnny Rotten), as from the previous post...

There's a company which makes kits for home brewing and wine-making, but although we make gallons of the stuff, I've never bought any of their products - maybe I should...

And I was blissfully ignorant of the awful-looking comic character if you can be bothered to Google the image, so it can't be that...

So I'm still confused!



6 comments:

Scrobs. said...

Never did find out...:0(

LINDA PLANT said...

Hi Scrobs,

Solomon Grundy ha ! Granny taught me that at her knee back in the 50's. If ever you've watched the film The Accountant with Ben Affleck, its recited several times by the main character.

Linda P

Scrobs. said...

Hi Linda!

It still recurs in this ol' grey head...

I didn't see the film, but I did take your advice and bought 'Margin Call, and am forever grateful, as it really is a superb film!

Watched it twice already - thank you!

ruralevalucas said...

Hi Scrobs
Glad you enjoyed it.

Spotlight and The Post are two others I would recommend.

Best

Linda

Scrobs. said...

Hi Linda,

These look pretty damn good - thank you for the tip-off!

We sort of got out of seeing movies some time ago, so via Ebay, I'm slowly catching up...:0~

Probably before your time, but have you ever watched "Washington behind closed doors"?

Incredible performance by Robert Vaughan as a political fixer!

(The last film we went to was "Philomena")...

ruralevalucas said...


Hi Mike

I checked out WBCD the mini series, it appears to have a hell of a cast list. Yes I do seemed to have missed it. 1977 was around the time I was out living the high life with fiancee before the wedding in 1979, so I missed a lot of tele back then. That was also the year I remember seeing Red Rum's last race at Aintree, and because we went to Liverpool we "avoided" all the celebratory street parties for the Queen's Silver Jubilee.

Those were the days eh ?


Linda