Monday 13 February 2023

Hawaii...






I've never been a fan of punk musuc, but I've only just heard a short piece about John Lydon's sad tribute to his wife, Norah, who is gradually falling into dementia's arms. This piece is incredibly haunting, poignant and emotive, and I find it so sad and even difficult to listen to without tearing up.

My dear mum ended her life after three years of Alzheimers, and we watched her losing her mind so gradually, it was almost imperceptible at times. She didn't even know that my dad had died a year earlier, so neither of them knew the other one had gone!

7 comments:

A K Haart said...

My mother's final years were ruined by dementia. The only time I saw my dad really upset was when he'd accepted that the wife he'd been married to for over sixty years had effectively left him without him being able to say goodbye.

James Higham said...

Tragic, Scrobs, tragic.

Scrobs. said...

That must have been so distressing, AK.

My dad had to organise my mum's new 'home', and he was pretty ill himself too.

All I can recall from my last visits to my mum, were that she just recognised me, called me her son, and laughed when I told her the cat used to climb up the wistaria and tap on the bedroom window to come in!

I told her that story at every visit for weeks...

Scrobs. said...

I'm afraid it is, James.

There's something about the production of this song which I can't get to yet, as the subject matter really does seem to resonate with the awful condition John's wife, Norah, finds herself with, and his reaction!

Thud said...

He deserved the slot.

Scrobs. said...

Yes, very true Thud!

Scrobs. said...

Sadly, Norah died very recently...