Monday 9 January 2023

Folding pictures of The Duke of Wellington...

 


When Scrobs started work in August 1965, as a tea-boy, dyeline printer and general squit, the salary was £4.00 per week, so the above note was never going to be in the first wage packet! Later on, the next job paid £4/10s and was paid by cheque, and the first rise was for 15/- per week!

All this training while 'on the job' wasn't that easy as a dire corespondence course loomed every evening, and stopped most shenanigans, so the spare dosh went on weekends mostly!

So I just cannot remember when I first held a fiver in my hand! This was a magic note back then, and for a short while in the seventies, I was being paid weekly for a short term contract, so the wage packet contained several of these beauties, which paid for four new tyres on the Mini...

One of my uncles once showed me one of the very old white fivers, but I never had one of those...

And now, these polymer notes stay folded up in the wallet and never used, as any payment's just a 'click', which to some degree, is a bit of a shame...

2 comments:

A K Haart said...

I remember my father showing me one of those white fivers, but I never had one either. I didn't take any cash with me on our recent New Year holiday and didn't even think about taking any. Sign of the times I suppose.

Scrobs. said...

I've had the same tenner in my wallet for ages, AK!

I found that I had to pay cash to get some boots mended, and got two strange looking pound coins as change, which I don't recognise any more!