Tuesday 16 November 2010

Henryk Gorecki R.I.P...




I've only just learned that Henryk Gorecki died last week.

His 'Symphony of Sorrowful Songs' (which floors me each time I hear it) is already pencilled in for a serious blog post one day, because a story goes with it. But now's not the time.

In his obituary in The Daily Telegraph, there was mention of Arvo Part. Now, although I reckon myself reasonably well tuned in to composers, I've just missed all this music, and have never knowingly heard any of it.

Just try listening to this, and I hope you'll be as dumbstruck as I was!

2 comments:

Philipa said...

I think it would make very good background music to film or TV.

Sen. C.R.O'Blene said...

It is like that Pips.

I'm furious that I've never even heard this before!

Mind you, they play a lot of similar music on Classic FM, and I don't always hear the composer's name...