Wednesday 10 September 2008

Sagtrouser and Bucket...

I've become uncomfortably aware that of late, I've consistently berated the building trade to the point of unfairness...

To put the record straight, I now wish to pronounce Travis Perkins, of Cranbrook, Kent; Builders Merchant of the year!

Why, you shriek?

Well, Mrs S has been asking me to put in a new fireplace in The Turrets for years (18), and so, while taking a small rest from my toil as a generator of hotels, and to do some bits at home, read a few books, check out the family etc etc, I was instructed to 'bloody well get the thing done...please...')!

So of course I did...

Every time I visit Travis Perkins for anything - be it one single nail or a pair of boots (see Scrobs passim; but it wasn't their fault), they treat me with good humour, pleasant chat, a fair price, and above all, a service which makes me think that all these big DIY stores still have a lot to learn.

Yeah, I can still talk the builders lingo when it suits me, (I used to sell concrete stuff years ago; did most of the M25 actually), but in this establishment it is a natural place to talk to someone who actually knows what he's selling, and you get fair trade, satisfaction and, above all, help.

So, for any Lady reading this, and of course Bloke... I'm not going to lay down the law, but I reckon that if you need a few odd bits of wood, a pot of paint, or even just a small paintbrush, the Builder's Merchant will probably make you feel better and also not take so much of your hard earned cash...

(Author's note; Mr Elias Sagtrouser has no recollection of buying Mr O'Blene several pints in 'The Bells', to ensure that his firm was represented in this way...)

9 comments:

Anonymous said...

I didnt shriek anything...

Sen. C.R.O'Blene said...

Actually you're right Mutters!

In your particular, individual, and if I may say so - delightfully prompt and courteous manner...

...you barked...

lilith said...

I feel the same way about buying white goods too Scrobs. If you go to Comet you have to carry your freezer home yourself or they charge you £50 to deliver it, bashed and bent to the bottom of your front steps. Our local shop offered a warranty, delivery and installation for the same price.

Old BE said...

I have a Jewson's right across from me but I am too scared to go in because it's very intimidating! They also close before I get out of the office and are not open at the weekend. I agree 100% with Lilith about white goods. I have a shop round the corner and they deliver and install and are pretty much the same price as the big internet chains.

Sen. C.R.O'Blene said...

We've just got a new white goods shop here Lils - I dunno why we always look to Comet before asking the bloke next door...

I'll check him out next time - good call!

Sen. C.R.O'Blene said...

Jewson's are big name Blues; don't feel intimidated, you'll be surprised if you ask for a bit of advice, they just don't fleece people these days - not good business!

Anonymous said...

Is that fireplace for use with coal? Or a nice clean decorative gas fire?

Just for the record I had the local Chinky plumber in yesterday to change a washer. Cost me the equivalent of £3, which is a lot cheaper than reeplacing the two adjustable spanners that were nicked from my car a while back and with which I would have done this simple job myself.

Sen. C.R.O'Blene said...

Definitely coal - and wood KL -sers. We got hold of several trees for nowt last year, and still have loads of logs to carve up.

No gas near the Turrets unfortunately, also Mrs S would have preferred a gas cooker too...

£3 for a washer? Good price I reckon!

Electro-Kevin said...

I used to work for Sandal Perkins - it was my first job and I was employed at their skip hire outfit in Putney.