Friday 7 June 2024

The stuff of life...

 

I don't really know why, but of late, I've been buying bread, and instead of just using it until it gets a bit stale, I've been freezing it in four-slice bags and taking them out as we need them.

A loaf of Hovis costs around £1.40, and that works out at around 7p a slice. If anyone had told me when I was a kid, that each sandwich with the butter and a bit of cheese I devoured would be costing around seven bob in old money in the future, I'd never have believed them!

So probably, I do know why I freeze those crumbs...

4 comments:

A K Haart said...

We freeze sliced bread too, although we just freeze the whole loaf, take out slices as we need them and close the bag with a Klippit. The slices thaw quickly too.

Scrobs. said...

It seems a bit odd, that I faithfully save as many slices as I can, but don't give a hoot about paying a couple of quid for a bottle of beer!

I do remember when butter as 1/10, though! The packs are getting smaller too, 200gm instead of 250gm...

James Higham said...

You don’t know why? To do with the taste perhaps, Scrobs?

Scrobs. said...

Yup! The old Hovis white is the preferred delicacy here, James! But for posh sarnies only...

Apart from that, I make a mean linseed and oat loaf with extra seeds, in the breadmaker, (which Senora O'Blene hates) these days! It's fabulous toasted with real salty butter, peanut butter and Vegemite - try it, you'll not be disappointed!