Thursday 16 December 2021

Musical refurbishment Part One...

Scrobs has a new project lined up for the quiet days after Christmas!

Over the years, as a keen but casual exponent of the guitars I've collected (or made) over the years, they all need some serious TLC, so I'm starting with one like this!


It's not much more than an entry-level electric guitar, but I like it, as it was a present over twenty-five years ago, and now needs some serious work to get it going again! The knobs have seized up, and the neck needs some adjustment too! Yamaha are middle of the road in kit like this, and while I'd love a Gibson or a Rickenbacker, I'm quite content with how this chap works, after all, it's only me hearing it, because...

...the additional kit is going to be an iRig, using a Jam Origin app through an iPad, with some super earphones! This little interface just plugs in everywhere, and the guitar note can be heard as just about any instrument you'll ever hear! I had some charming discussions with Steinberg Electronics some years ago, about 'Midi Guitars', and they were extremely expensive at that! This kit costs not a lot more than forty quid, so I hope it all works!

And I can do all this in the shed (the soldering etc.,), but the fun should start later!

More in the Spring...


4 comments:

Thud said...

Good guitars are great to own but they don't make you play better, its in the fingers so enjoy.

Scrobs. said...

I certainly will, Thud!

I'm trying to work out how to actually do the recording still, as the app may not do this...

I see that Garage Band might help even!

Doonhamer said...

WD40 and Audacity.
Other than that Duct Tape, aka Duck Tape, Gaffer Tape, or Bodge Tape.
And build up the callouses on your finger tips.
Good luck.

Scrobs. said...

Indeed, the fingers are not what they were these days, DH, but I've always preferred flat-wound strings so it makes the job a little easier!

The WD40 didn't work actually, but the new control pieces were absurdly cheap, so seem to be the better option! I've got to deal with a 'jangle' on the first couple of frets too, so may have to do a little engineering up by the machine head!

Just wait to see what I intend to do for the EK Bass though - that requires as much attention as I'll be able to give...

http://scroblene-webley-bullock.blogspot.com/2007/06/rhythm-stick.html