Friday 24 September 2021

The Singer not the song...


Our dear elderly neighbour has moved away, and we're helping clear her home.

Among her bits and pieces is a gorgeous old Singer sewing machine, which is in perfect working order! She told me that her father had given it to her for her 18th birthday, which would have been around January 1953. She used it for lots of her clothes, and such items were commonplace in most homes too! My mum had one just like it, and so did Senora O'Blene - a Christmas present soon after we were married!

But trying to move it on is just about impossible now! Nobody wants one! I had to give the Senora's away to an actual Singer shop in Canterbury, getting a small battery powered stitcher instead, which turned out to be useless - it's still in the roof...

These machines were beautifully made, some had gorgeous metal effects on the panels and of course, the gold print was unmistakeable!

If anyone wants it, just call out!

 

2 comments:

A K Haart said...

We inherited one of those too. Worked well and still had the instruction book but as you say, nobody wants one. A small shop or cafe might take it as a display piece.

Scrobs. said...

It's very heavy too, and I really must make an effort to get it somewhere safe!

As long as my dear friend doesn't want me to post it, I'll be OK!