Sunday 19 April 2020

Merriman lives on...

john welsh actor merriman | Actor, Playing dress up, John

As there's so much dross on the TV at the moment, especially the awful BBC, Mrs O'Blene and Scrobs have been immersed in watching the whole box set of 'The Duchess of Duke Street', which was a superb series (even by the BBC), back in the middle seventies.

I suppose everyone knows the story, and it is as good now, as it was back then. It's rather pleasant seeing all the old faces again, and one name particularly springs out - John Welsh, as Merriman, the butler!

I once met him in a pub in North Acton, while having a swift half with a good chum. He was standing by the bar, on his own, a glass of Guinness and a sandwich in front of him, and when I went up for a round, immediately recognised him, and with a stupid reaction to seeing such a well-known face, nodded, smiled, and asked him 'if he was practicing', for a play!

He was charming in his response, very polite, and Scrobs being Scrobs, I asked him what play he was working on. Anyway, one thing led to another, and my chum joined me and we had a delightful half-hour with a lovely gentleman. He was rehearsing the part of Sir Robert Abbey, in a series 'The Citadel', which was shown in 1983, and of course, when it came out, we watched the magic of the A.J.Cronin story come tumbling out of the old TV set.

Seeing the man again in Duke Street, brings back a lovely memory of that short time in the pub, and only the other night, I realised that I could impersonate him down to a tee, so here is Scrobs - as Merriman, muttering his lines just as if he had done them himself...

'I'm not happy with all this, Ma'am, the servants shouldn't be cavorting with their employers! It'll all end in tears'!

There! Wasn't that just the perfect impersonation! You must have thought he was in the room right next to you!

8 comments:

A K Haart said...

An incredible impersonation, I thought he must be inside my laptop polishing the wiring to an immaculate shine. Here's another -

Don't tell him Pike.

Scrobs. said...

Fantastic, Mr H!

I can just see the bristling moustache, and the wire-rimmed glasses right next to me, and also Gladys Pugh's late husband issuing the 'orders'!

E-K said...

The BBC really is awful. Have I Got News For You revealed as its true unfunny self without audience laughter over it - just a Leftist moan-fest.

Scrobs. said...

It's just awful now, Elecs.

We gave up several years ago, and it's just a silly little app for deluded nonentities nowadays!

Well done you, though, for trying to find it amusing, we'd like to, but it fails every time...

One thing I always wanted to know, but do you do the trip though Dawlish Warren?

It was a holiday we couldn't afford, but went anyway, and just loved it all there!

goosegirl said...

AKH. After my pc suddenly decided to have a hissy fit, I'm going to have to re-post wot I previously wroted. I remember that face from many films where he always seemed to be cast as a wise butler who always gave such grace to all his performances.

It could have been most interesting experience for Pike when Captain Mannering was just to about open his mouth when the phone rang. "It's your wife! She's just rung to say would you like a glass or two of Liebfraumilch when you get home?" His answer was "Pike, you stupid boy! You've just ruined one of the best days of my life, and when I get home your mother will hear about it and there'll be no butler bringing you a cup of cocoa tonight!

Scrobs. said...

I wondered where you'd been, GG...

Hope the laptop is back up and running for good now, we can't have a slacking off in the team!

goosegirl said...

Oy you daft tart!! I've been on here every day looking for a little bit of fun to highlight my day and GG's certainly not been slacking-off as it were. BTW, I don't have a lap top only my trusty PC. My day would have been further enlightened if you'd both offered to come here and help me with the mountainous washing-up my OH left me to do yesterday after his mega-cooking session as I only have a table-top dishwasher to do it for me. Methinks I must buy a lottery ticket and then dream of winning millions of wonga. I could employ a merry man to match up my OH's odd socks (that'll be a first) so I can take an afternoon nap while he washes and starches my nurse's uniform in case OH wakes up from the massive dose of sedatives I secretly added to his afternoon cup of tea. If he doesn't make me the bestest prawn cocktail sandwich I've ever had I'll sack him and do it myself!

Scrobs. said...

Glad you're back GG!

Like your other post about actors, so keep 'em coming!

As for OH waking up with a ..., I think we'll just leave that to the imagination..;0)