Friday 27 September 2019

Database reorg.com...

How on earth does one try and find out if a lovely old business chum has popped off, or gone and got married again, or both?

At three-score-years and twelve, there are a few names less on my PC, more's the pity, but when the Christmas cards don't appear, and the emails start to bounce back, a big fear crosses the brow of the hill, and a gaze into the distance occurs.

I've been wracking my brains to ask a mutual chum about a great buddy of mine, and I think I cracked it about right and asked him, but - well  - who knows?

It took me a couple of glasses of Lindemans to pluck up the courage, so I hope it was well slurped...

5 comments:

Scrobs. said...

Hmmm; sadly I missed the old chum's passing by a couple of years.

In the old days, I'd have known within hours, but not any more!

I bet he went with a huge grin, just about to be altered slightly as he took on yet another Large Gordons!

'Bye Derek, you ain't really forgotten chum!

The Jannie said...

I had occasional email contact with an old school friend and fellow trainspotter who I knew was not in the best of health. I was told third hand in January by another friend that Jeff had died the previous November so I never got the chance to bid him farewell.

A K Haart said...

There are also those people we once knew but didn't keep in touch with for any number of reasons. It's a sobering thing to do - go through a few old memories of people we knew decades ago while also realising that some will inevitably have passed away and we'll never know it.

Scrobs. said...

Thanks, Men!

I used to pride myself in knowing as many people as possible, especially where we became good chums, and as my address book slims down, I suppose this sort of thing will be inevitable!

On a brighter note, an old school chum has surfaced after nearly sixty years, and that is a real joy!

Scrobs. said...

Update - The poor guy left us all a couple of years ago!

I just didn't know, and wish I'd been there to see him off.