Monday 15 July 2019

Cox at me (6,3,6).



For some time now, as most chumly posters here know, Senora O'Blene and I are somewhat addicted to Sudoku. As another test of Scrobs' rapidly declining intelligence and awareness of anything much, other than pokes at remoaners and spongers, I've returned to the Daily Telgraph Crossword compilation for light (heavy) contentment and a way to alleviate insomnia!

We used to take the old rag daily, but found that it took several trees to satisfy our yearning to read about politicians, failures by them, disgrace by them and utter exasperation with them, so we now get all our news online, and pay not one jot!

But the old crossword habit, while dormant for a while has resurfaced with a vengeance, and I even look forward to each one in the book when I have a few moments to spare.

In the old days, I'd try the DT cryptic every day, but after losing the daily paper, I lost the habit, and it takes some considerable time to get back into the swing of things!

Writing in answers is a special pleasure, and we both want to have a suitable writing implement nearby, for numbers in Sudoku, and three down in the DT challenge! So we've reverted to the gorgeous feel of a damn good 4B pencil for these tasks! It seems strange today, what with biros, sharp clutch pencils, felt nibs, roller balls etc, the one item which remains sacrosant is a decent lead pencil, and we have several dozen dotted around The Turrets!

Just doodling through some YouTube, I found the above clip, and it is utterly fascinating! The manufacturer is Faber, but our collection is Staedtler and I buy them online for a tiny amount compared with the retail price!

(Goosey, I think you know the answer to the title, so can I ask you (as nicely as I can when you're all those miles away), to keep it to yourself until the others have a go please? There's a tincture in it for you too)!



10 comments:

E-K said...

I'm crap at crosswords. I have such a poor memory for names that I've seen doctors about it.

goosegirl said...

Nice one E-K! I've tried Sudoku in the past but it doesn't do anything for me. Every morning I print out the Graudian daily cryptics, the Prize on Saturday and the Everyman on Sunday. When I get stuck I use a very basic Thesaurus. The next day I'll look for one of the previous day's answers then go from there. Re- pencils, Keswick sells the Derwent range of pencils, but if you want them to be lead-free they will gladly sell you a stick!

Scrobs. said...

Which doctor did you see, Kev?

Scrobs. said...

The Graun is too difficult for me, Goosey. Apparently there was a hey-day when one particular compiler beat everyone, with brilliant clues and sheer wickedness, but that was before Brexit took over the editorial foaming at the mouth!

Derwent pencils are the best in the world! I can easily remember trying to collect them, but they were far too expensive, so I went for 'Lakeland' instead!

It's Staedtler colours now, but they're in their box at the moment until I get some inspiration!

Scrobs. said...

Just found another great clue from a chum!

Cinderella's last dance (7).

goosegirl said...

Blast you Scrobs as I've been up half the night trying to work it out!
Am I right in thinking:-
1) A last is something shoe-makers use?
2) Is Cinders a hint as in coke or ash?
3) Does dance indicate it's some sort of anagram?
4) Is it to do with Shirley Ballass leaving Strictly?

Scrobs. said...

Goosey, actually, it's none of those...

Mind you, there is an element of your '4' which is relevant!

What about a clue from your stable? We could let this run and run, rather like the other place!

Scrobs. said...

Goosey, please answer the title of the post - you know the answer...

...don't you?

Then consider what happens to Cinders!

goosegirl said...

I've got the answer for your title but all my rather depleted brain can supply is nowt!

Scrobs. said...

I'll let the cat out of the bag for you, GG!

The Cinderella clue is 'Ragtime'!

Pretty damn clever that one, a chum told me that it was the only clue she'd ever solved, but she's a wizard at Sudoku!

And yes, the Cox clue came from G and R round at the other place!