Monday 5 September 2016

The Scaffolder's wife...

I found myself listening to this again recently, and it's such a kindly observation, I just want to share it with both of you!

Mark Knopfler is a great chap to listen to for softer, more interesting music these days. I always liked the Dire Straits years, but the move onto a more simple and likeable style is very welcome!



The scaffolder's wife
Driving out of the yard
With a face that's as hard
As a scaffolder's bar -
When she goes into town
She might take the top down
On the car

The quick little steps
In the stiletto boots
And the hair with the roots
She comes in as a rule
To get the nails done
And the tan for the sun
When the kids are in school

Don't begrudge her the Merc
It's been nothing but work
And a hard life
Losing her looks
Over company books
- the scaffolder's wife

In the wicked old days
When they went it alone
Kept the company going
On a wing and a prayer
They don't pay what they owe
When they have the cash flow
- they don't care

Don't begrudge her the Merc
It's been nothing but work
And a hard life
Losing her looks
Over company books
- the scaffolder's wife


6 comments:

A K Haart said...

I don't begrudge her the Merc
But was it worth all the work?

Scrobs. said...

Have to confess that when I first heard the song I heard it as 'murk', so there's some sort of similarity there, Mr H!

rvi said...

That is much better than that last screechy effort you offered us! I always liked Dire Straits stuff too and still have a pile of it somewhere in the cupboard.

Strictly between us (of course) we both like German motors - and indeed it really was all worth the work we put in over the years to be able to own and run one. Chap's entitled to a bit of luxury in his old age, innit?

Thud said...

Rvi...agreed.

Scrobs. said...

I was trying to be a bit 'suspect' Reevers, as I thought the Led Zep track was rubbish.

'The Sultans' was my first involvement with Dire Straits, and I've liked them ever since.

Mark Knopfler once visited a pub some way from here, where there was a 'tribute' band. He graciously did a couple of bits himself, and never let the 'copier' down one bit!

I just think that his later stuff blends more with an ageing Scrobs, and so be it!

Electro-Kevin said...

I saw Dire Straits once. Knopfler the size of an ant and the sound terrible (Kensington Olympia.)

I always envied his toffee apple red Strat - and the way he played it.