Wednesday 25 May 2016

There you have it...

Quite some years ago, I had a discussion with my dad, which was unpleasant and not worthy of my compassion.

We here just wanted to go away on holiday in France, and escape the quandaries and problems of my work, and Mrs Scroblene's work, and our girls' school work, and we were a good team then - not much different now, but back then something was more important. We wanted to be alone.

I wanted us all in my small family, to escape to a place of refuge, and be just the four of us. Dad wanted to know where we were going as Mum wasn't that well, and he demanded the address, and on Mrs Scroblene's advice, he was told - NO! Crossness and upsetness occurred, but we seemed to have made our pitch understood, although it was not that easy.

While we were away, having a great holiday, it was my birthday, and as usual, there were loads of presents and cards and stuff, which made us all say 'hurrah', and I was the loudest voice of course, as we all enjoyed a good lunch and I had all those presents.

I cannot listen to this track without recalling such a lovely day. It was one of my gifts.

Sorry Dad, I went to Oradour-sur-Glane a few days later, on my own, leaving the family in Limoges for a short time, and you and mum had been there once, and I felt particularly vulnerable, and the song still rings...


4 comments:

rvi said...

Good on you Scrobs. We all need the occasional break from everyone and everything.

Many years ago, I went through a very traumatic time, with a mountain of seemingly insoluble problems on my shoulders, all the while receiving well meant but contradictory advice from all and sundry. So (almost in desperation) I packed a small suitcase, got in the car and drove off into the back end of nowhere and found a small guest-house by the wayside to stay in. I sat undisturbed on my own by a small river and just watched the ducks swimming and let the world just go on by. After two days of this, I had made my mind up what I needed to do, went back home and put the necessary procedures in motion - and never looked back.

I do/did like Dire Straits, but they would have been even better if Mark had learned to open his mouth a bit and stop mumbling....

Thud said...

The family defies the efforts of the lunatic left to debase and destroy it,you are a lucky man Scrobs.

Scrobs. said...

Thanks Reevers!

Interesting to note your escape as well. It was some time ago, but some things still linger and seem like just yesterday!

Scrobs. said...

I think so, Thud. Much more to life than riches and a bit in the papers!