Saturday 18 July 2015

Birthday musings...

It's my birthday tomorrow, and I will be sixty-eight!

It's a funny decade, the sixties; you really wonder at some stages how you got this far, and if you'd carried on smoking, might you still be here? Possibly not after a dreadful pipe-smoking habit!

Is an active retirement going well (yes), but if we'd moved to a smaller place, would we still have the same interests without a garden and an allotment which demand constant attention? Definitely no!

Is smugness setting in? Not really, but then maybe we've been lucky - I definitely have!

Do I miss getting out on the circuit to meet business chums? Only after considering the first bottle, from then on, it became a bit of a lottery on what was achieved...

I suppose most posters here are younger, so will have all these questions to face themselves, but I think even getting to sixty-eight is some sort of achievement, so thank you, someone...


8 comments:

Macheath said...

Many happy returns and all that - I think we'll forgive you a little smugness.


The Jannie said...

Happy birthday from the Home for the Bewildered. Being but a year behind you I find myself busier than when I was at work; so much so I wonder how I found the time to go there!

A K Haart said...

Happy birthday. I'm two years behind you but busier than ever. Spent hours in the garden this afternoon just catching up on my reading and beer intake. I can recommend it for birthdays and days which aren't birthdays.

rvi (aka san fairy Ann) said...

Hah! Seems like I am the grandad round 'ere. So you young whippersnappers should club together to by our host a bottle of the best Wincarnis...


Oh, and by the way Scrobs, Happy Birthday. Seems like only last week we were having this same conversation!

The secret? Be happy, relax and tell the world to get lost (I would say 'stuffed', but this being a family blog and all...). You've done your bit for the country so it is no longer your concern to worry about what lies the politicians (and the news media generally) are spouting this week nor that in general the younger generation have no idea what a comma is for or who the latest (trans-gendered?) boy/girl band might be.

Ca ne fait rien - capiche??

lilith said...

Happy Birthday Scrobs! I like to hear you are smug. It's called counting your blessings :-) Im smug too xxx

Electro-Kevin said...

Happy Birthday Scrobs.

68 is no age these days. I don't consider it old at all.

The lady next door is 88 and still tends her own large gardens and house - and looks after three cats (and everyone else's.)

Thud said...

Happy birthday scrobs, keep posting as I find your posts a constant delight.

Scrobs. said...

Aaaaw, thank you, one and all!

I had a fabulous day, what with a huge bag of stuff from Daughts and Grand children, (I now have to choose some Amazon items, and will pretty damn sure go for a complete 'Lovejoy', plus probably 'Brass'...), plus a superb stir-fry from Mrs Scroblene, because she's an expert and that was on my list of things that I like...

We didn't 'garden', just picked, and it was such a super, special time, and all the better for reading notes from such lovely chums as you all here - thank you!