Sunday 8 June 2014

Smoking, the new divorce...




The other day, I was at a village gathering and chatting with two ladies, who are good friends.

For some reason, there was an awful smell coming from some passing traffic, and one of my chums began to look queasy, and had to explain that she has some sort of allergy to petrol fumes.

The conversation veered towards smoking, and after a few nervous glances, we all 'outed', to admit that we all used to be ferocious smokers years ago, and then the 'guilt' began to emerge! One chum was always on forty Marlboroughs a day, or sixty when she was playing golf, the other chum mentioned how she was always stressed driving the kids to school, and chain-smoked on every trip! I for my part confessed that I was an inveterate pipe smoker, inhaling everything there was going for several years! We all knew the roundabout just out of London, where I'd stuff my Falcon pipe with Gold Block, and reach home in a grey fug an hour later...

And why the connection with divorce?

I don't know really, but smoking now gets the same attention as divorce did in the fifties and sixties, and that's about it!

6 comments:

rvi said...

Hallo again and welcome back.

Now to help calm your nerves:


remember this?

A K Haart said...

I never smoked but miss the aroma of pipe tobacco. My dad smoked a pipe for decades before giving it up. I suspect he always regretted it.

Sen. C.R.O'Blene said...

Reevers, the link just takes me to a You Tube page!

Is there a link on the address bar at all?

Sen. C.R.O'Blene said...

So did my dad, Mr H, and my uncle, so I suppose it was inevitable that I wanted to try a pipe...

My dad definitely regretted giving up, but his doctor forbade him!

rvi said...

oops, sorry about that. Should have rechecked before posting.

try this

Scrobs. said...

Gorgeous music, Reevers, thatk you!

Love the adverts, I wonder if they're still alive after thirty a day...