Tuesday 3 September 2024

Hoisin it for the houtput, not the hassets...

I've never been a huge fan of Chinese food, for some reason... I started on the basic Sweet and Sour Pork in the restaurant in Claremont, Hastings back in my formative drinking years in the sixties, when it was obligatory to soak up the several pints of bitter after they closed, and we had a spare hour before we went home...

And also, when the Senora and I were a team, working the weekend shift at flogging some retirement flats in Tunbridge Wells about twenty years ago, we were treated by the 'management' to a great Thai lunch somewhere in the town at Christmas, but that's about it!

However, I was recently given a carrier bag full of damsons, and I had to spend some time wondering what to do with about four pounds of the things, after giving some to chums around here! Advice from Daughter was that it might be worth a try at making a Chinese version of a 'fruit' hoisin - yet another comestible I'd heard of but didn't have a clue about!

We found a recipe online, (there are hundreds), and there we have it! Well over two pints of the sauce is either nestling in the pantry, or spread around friends, and what a difference it makes, after all these years of English versions of fried, roast, boiled, poached, steamed, barbecued chicken...




4 comments:

Welly’s Mum said...

Sounds fabulous! As wise as your daughter probably is, there’s a possibility she mixed up Hoisin with Plum Sauce…

Scrobs. said...

No chance - whatever Daughter says, it's the right move, but it's still the Scrobs' version of a Chinese sauce...

Plum sauce is a different possibility, but damsons are a rarity - unless my great chum Penny offloads a huge carrier bag of the things by my front door!

A K Haart said...

Sounds tasty, as if it would perk up lots of meals.

Scrobs. said...

I think the word 'perks' descibes it to a tee, AK!

Otherwise it's HP sauce, or Branston!