Saturday 30 May 2020

Big biscuits...

BathOliver OnSlateWCheese.jpg

Just recently, I've started - or revisited a passion for, these delicacies! They're not cheap, at around twenty pence a pop, but they have a fabulous flavour, texture etc, and do make cheese so much better than a normal cream cracker, or a digestive biscuit.

I did actually get a large store in just before panic-buying stopped any bread arriving, and together with some Ryvita, they are still on the shelf, but diminishing rapidly...

Many years ago, I was in the CCF at school, and we would go on annual camps to places like Sennybridge near Brecon or Inys Gaint, an island in The Menai Straits. It was all jolly fun, and the night exercise enabled twenty Gold Leaf and a few cans of cider to slip down without anyone noticing! The Duke of Edinburgh's Awards were the same, with nights out somewhere, and on all these occasions, we'd be issued with army rations like a tin of stew ('a nutritious and satisfying dinner', it said somewhere), and a tin of marge, with a tin of biscuits! They were as hard as nails, but strangely acceptable, especially with the tin of jam which was also in the pack! 

But I liked them, and as all this happened back in the early nineteen-sixties, I've forgotten the solidity of those tins of biscuits, and can now relive the pleasure with the delightful Bath Olivers! The chocolate ones are to die for too...


5 comments:

A K Haart said...

Thanks for the reminder - I haven't sampled a Bath Oliver for years. The in-laws used to buy them so something to look for when things settle down. Just checked on Amazon but they are unavailable.

Scrobs. said...

Probably OK on Ocado, or Waitrose, Mr H.

goosegirl said...

Gosh! That has taken me back many years. Fortt's do a Bath Oliver via The Cheeseboard. Nice with a bit of Wensleydale innit Gromit!



Scrobs. said...

Aaaah, Wensleydale, the elixir of cheese!

I was actually going to have some Bath Olivers this evening, but remembered some home-made scones given to us by a chum, because we gave her some plants!

What goes around comes around...

goosegirl said...

I'm not a huge lover of cheese but I do like either a very creamy Lancashire or a very mature Brie. I once had some lamb's cheese when I went to a conference to a hotel in Grange-Over-Sands. I went crackers over them!