Tuesday 25 September 2018

Bring back the real 'Summer Game'...

As the cricket season squeaks and bangs to a halt, and 'stumps' is called all over the UK, I have to reflect on how little I watched this past season.

Back when I was a boy, my dad would always have the TV on for the cricket while he worked in the garden. He'd pop back in to watch an over or two, open a can of light ale, then carry on with whatever he was doing, content in the knowledge of Cowdrey's century becoming a possibility, or Boycott starting to get runs after three hours.

Now the awful BBC hardly ever shows any cricket, I miss all that, but there are rumours that the terrestrial TV services may take some of the viewing back, which could be interesting. I hope so.

Skipping through some earlier cricket Youtube clips recently (it was rumoured that Don Bradman's family came from around here, and I wanted to find out more), I found some great footage of the 1981 Ashes, when Ian Botham scored a memorable 149 not out, but the other star was Bob Willis taking 8 for 43 in an incredible spell of great bowling!




And watching these clips again, made me feel rejuvenated and even elated, to see such a great game, well played, and without the snarling, spitting, sledging which infests such great events these days.

Perhaps the 'Summer Game' has gone too far towards money, advertising and 'sleb' status now, I hope not, but when I can next switch on the TV, open a can of gardening beer, and enjoy a few overs before I cut the grass, I'll be a happier Scrobs than I am now!

6 comments:

goosegirl said...

Cricket used to be such an honest game but like so many other types of sport it's not as it used to be. I blame the pressure from advertising and media hype because instead of just letting the players get on with it, it's become imbued with stupid people risking their careers and for what? A few moments of fame and glory until they get found out. Similar things happen at local gardening shows and other competitive events. Basically, if you can't play honestly then bugger off!

A K Haart said...

Rejuvenated and even elated? Yes I know what you mean and not watching the awful BBC helps. Youtube is far better and makes it far easier to find something worth watching.

Scrobs. said...

I was chatting to an old rugby chum a while back Goosey. He was a huge guy, and well respected as a truthful but hard player.

His main concern is the battering modern players are getting now. The human frame is just not capable of coping with continual crashes these days. (alliteration acceptable here - Ed).

Cheating has always been verboten here at The Turrets, and even now, we get furious at drug-takers, ball tamperers, screamers (tennis), and we don't really watch much of it at all. So that stuffs ITV for a start, but the TV tax is really a bridge too far, and it's about time they got to doing what their paying public really want.

That's a political issue, and comments on Biased BBC website are so good at deriding the appalling service.

Scrobs. said...

I watch Youtube most evenings Mr H. Often a rare clip by a good band, or now, 'Alas Smith and Jones'!

goosegirl said...

Don't get me on about cheating!! I don't care what one is doing, whether it's a type of sport, card game, writing, or some sort of research. You've got to play fair. I don't think I've ever cheated in my life unless you count using a very basic thesaurus when I attempt the Graudian cryptics, but I always let people know I use one. I'd rather lose or fail because at least I'd know where I went wrong and would learn from my mistakes. I once was told someone got a PHD but they never did any of the work - WHAT?? In the lab doing research, I tried a new way of doing something which I got from a published paper and failed miserably so I contacted them only to be told they'd had the same problem, and I could almost feel the heat coming from their red faces over the phone - WHY DO THAT? As to someone using unnecessary physical violence or other nefarious techniques to overcome your opponent, they should be fined and banned. Did you see that motorbike race where a rider leant over towards someone on his left and pulled this person's handbrake? Fortunately he managed to control his bike but he could have been killed! Rant over. Alliteration answered and aired apropos as age allows.

Scrobs. said...

Ok, OK OOOOKKKK - Goosey, I won't get you on about cheating!

I'm addicted to Sudoku, as is Mrs O'Blene, and always stick to the adage that If I can't prove a square, I won't write in a number!

Much nicer that way!