Wednesday 29 March 2017

Ten years after...




This week, Scrobs can celebrate ten years in the amazing blogosphere!

Yup, it was ten years ago that the first trembling keystrokes hit the net, and a new wandering soul joined a great crowd of lovely people!

I suppose the immortal http://scottonpinkneyblogspot.blogspot.co.uk/ started it all off for me, with some hilarious moments and many happy hours trying to keep up! By coincidence, the site has returned only recently, and of course, retains its original stature!

We've lost several good people along the way, The Beast, or Peter Hitchens as he was back then and dear old Mutley the dog, who is sorely missed! Lots of other names have moved on, like The Lakelander, Tuscan Tony, Idle, Ed, E-K and many more, which is a pity, but so many other ways to mix in have developed since then like Twatter and Bookface, and the lethal Linkedin, which is like a rash only worse! I just feel safer knowing that at least I can edit my own mistakes before sending a dubious message while outside a few tinctures...

Blogging ten years ago was also a serious antidote to the dreadful recession brought on by the Blair/Brown experiment in screwing the country, and every opportunity to escape the concern of a dreadful economic situation helped an anxious Scrobs through trying times. Things were not great back then, but now, with new opportunities through Brexit and a final good riddance to those awful Labour years, and of course the magic retirement kicking in with gusto, the future is so much brighter and more positive!

Thinking of the blogs that are still around, It's always a pleasure reading Blue Eyes, Bill Quango and of course Nick Drew, who still calls by here occasionally! I'd have loved to join them for their Christmas bash, but as I keep away from London as much as possible now, I always miss out! I even missed Old Holborn's visit to the Clarence, by several hours too, so that's another hero worship episode I missed! A.K.Haart always brings a smile, even when he's being serious! Looking back at comments from that time also brings so many more old chums out into the air! I actually spoke to Daisy when she was about to fly home! Of course, Reevers is a stalwart here, and always good for a reply, for which I'm eternally grateful, especially as there aren't as many of us around to comment!

Other bright spots like meeting Lilith and Elby, having chats with Pips and getting serious computer help from The Lakelander has made all this online stuff an honour and a pleasure, and I hope in another ten years I'll still be able to plonk a few more posts around, with whatever a computer will look like then! Mine will probably still look like the kit above anyway...

14 comments:

Modo said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Modo said...

And not a day older.

The originaal SP resident village idiot said...

Good day Mr Bullock. I suppose some sort of congratulations is/are in order - so "Well done". Stickability is a rare commodity these days, but in your case, the glue (fly paper?) seems to have been effective.

Many thanks for all the sniggers you engender on many a damp misty morning. This place is always my first port of call before I move on to Guido or Going Postal or elsewhere for a little more serious stuff. Under a hatful of miscellaneous identities I was a regular contributor to the SP village scene and was sorry to see its demise. I will not list my other webbist noms de plume but rest assured I have been around the proverbial block a few times hither and yon doing my best not to be flippant or trite (difficult as that is on occasion!). I rarely comment nowadays as I refuse to register with Discus or whatever it is called. That unfortunate development took a lot of fun out of mischievous but harmless enjoyment...

Naturally I look forward to reading and commenting (is that the right word!!??) on your future musings; so all power to your elbow and stuff..

Lucien Modo said...

Dennis. You will find the belfry much as you left it... mostly because Reverend Pennyfeather is nervous of opening the cardboard boxes.

A K Haart said...

Congratulations and here's to the next ten years. By that time I'm sure you will be able to dictate blog posts to your electric bicycle while cycling through leafy lanes.

Thud said...

10 more years! 10 more years!

Nick Drew said...

Well, well ...

It must be said, 2006 was some kind of zenith

You haven't mentioned Guido. An interesting phenomenon, and (inter alia) nursery of so many and so much

(even if he has sold out)

anyhow, stamina is key, and fair play to you Scrobs!

Nick Drew said...

stamina and character ...

Sen. C.R.O'Blene said...

Absolutely, Modo - many thanks for returning to grace the posts...

Sen. C.R.O'Blene said...

Reevers! Thank you!

I reckon a post a week is about as much as anyone can stand, but the news just doesn't go away these days, so it's always a pleasure to witter on, and hope that someone likes the blurb!

Actually, I think an old site called 'Throne Out' was the first one I encountered, because I was trying to find out something about the Royal Family, and there was page after page of rants and tirades, but interesting ones as well!

Sen. C.R.O'Blene said...

Aaah The Belfry again, Fuller...

Wasn't The Rev Pennyfeather indicted for unusual drinking habits? Perhaps that's what the boxes contain?

They may even still fit him!

Sen. C.R.O'Blene said...

Thank you, Mr Haart!

The bicycle is being overtaken by a mechanical tiller at the moment, as the race to get the spuds in seems to go on forever!

Sen. C.R.O'Blene said...

And ten years it will be, Thud, thank you!

Sen. C.R.O'Blene said...

Actually, Nick, I sort of assumed that Guido was always going to be on everyone's reading list, as he is required reading, and best for opening the day, so sorry, Mr Fawkes...

Good to see three or four of the original SP delegates here again; all we need now is Bunty Binstock, and the party will be nearly complete!