Tuesday 14 October 2008

Heroes and villains...



When Rye had a cinema, one of the first films I ever saw was ‘Davy Crockett, King of the Wild Frontier’. Fess Parker took the title role, and his astounding acts of bravery were gasping legend amongst small boys who were anxious to get in on the act. The song still evokes an era when ‘cowboys’, were the brave action men who weren’t in the army. (Anyone from America was a cowboy, which became more confusing when ‘cowgirls’ came on the scene...)

And the Davy Crockett hat was ‘born’.

I think mine was made out of some furry material (it was allowed then apparently, although perhaps the mink or fox or whatever didn’t think too much of the idea at the time), but the silliest one was a friend’s which seemed to be made from old carpet! (Knowing how rich his parents were, it probably had underlay and grippers as well; but he still keeps in touch so I mustn’t knock him too much...). Even my sister laughed at it!

(The offshoot to the coonskin tail thing must have been Esso’s brilliant ‘tiger in your tank’ ad campaign, where every scooter maniac tied a furry ‘tiger tail’ to just about everything on his Lambretta, and roared around in a splash of black and yellow – and on one occasion caused a visit to A & E in Hastings when a certain idiot crashed the thing into a van; but that’s another story)!

A quick glance through Wikipedia shows that all this Davy Crockett hat interest was a Disney stunt which went very well, but I reckon that even old Walt wouldn’t have understood the odd exchange which became apparent when Prince Charles had to go and open something or other in deepest Wales. When he arrived, he was wearing a Davy Crockett hat, but everyone was far too kind to mention it to him as he carried out his Princely duties.

Eventually, when the Mayor of the town, much relieved and also outside several portions of Welsh Single Malt ushered the Prince to his return seat on the royal train, he whispered loudly and alcoholically ‘Excuse me for asking boyo, but why are you dressed in such a smart uniform without the proper headgear’?

The Prince told him that the Queen had asked him in between the cornflakes and the kedgeree at breakfast, ‘And where are you going today Charles’?

‘I’d replied ‘Ystradgynlais’, and The Queen just muttered ‘wear the fox hat ’....

12 comments:

Philipa said...

What a bizarre story, Scrobs, but what a bizarre life the young prince did lead. I remember swooning over him when he was younger, for the same reason Diana did I guess - because he was a prince not because he was himself.

I read a story about Ray Mears in the Guardian yesterday and I thought he made a very good comment about foxhunting: people have spent an enormous amount of money, time and effort protecting a species that is not in any way endangered. (yet they are happy to do nothing to protect our native birds as they are wiped out)

Some of my favourite times are summer walks and happening by a skylark.

I remember the tiger in your tank thing. Yes it became part of language didn't it with several meanings :-D Bit like carling Black Label. Do you remember the squirrel?

The stunt that always amazes me (as so many have worked and been absorbed as truth) is the 1950's Coke advert depicting santa in a red and white suit. It is forever so. Yet before that ad campaign he wasn't in a red and white suit.

Trubes said...

Very good Scrobs. I remember being dragged to the Cinema, in the Isle of Man, when on holiday, with my brother to see Davy Crockett. Glad I went as I absolutely loved it and can still almost remember the Davy Crockett song....
'Born on a mountain top in Tennesse, killed him a bear when he was only three...tra la lala tra lala...King of the wild frontier'.

Di.x

Daisy said...

scrobs you brought a smile to my face remembering my little brother and his coonskinned hat...we (the older sisters) would go around singing "davy, davy crockett king of the wild frontier" and it would annoy the life out of him...well then the waltons came on and unfortunately my brothers name is James Richard so we called him "jim dick" instead of jim bob (from the show)...we were really horrible sisters...however did defend him physically at school and no one tried to beat on him after the first one we took down!

Trubes said...

Hey ! It's Phillipa's Birthday today Scrobers!

The Old Tarf said...

I loved that program and the film. I had a Coon Skin hat. You can still buy them over here by the way.

I do not know if they are still made out of Raccoon or not. I remember the tiger in your tank. I had a tail on my bike with the Banana Seat and used to put baseball cards clipped on my spokes to make a engine sound. Wish I still had those old cards would be worth a small fortune now a days.

Anonymous said...

I think that if you went into a shop in Britain and asked for anything made of "coon skin", you would probably be arrested....

Anonymous said...

Goodness me!! I go away to the back of beyond for a few days of peace and quiet - and return to find everyone going all maudlin and mushy over somebody nobody had ever heard of (DC, not PC!!) before the film (and, I suspect, had it not been for the catchy song and furry hat gimmick, would still have remained largely anonymous). Distance I fear has lent enchantment to the view; the film, apart from the famous Alamo climax was (imho of course) typical not very good Disney syrup - which probably explains why, unlike other Disney classics over the years, especially the cartoon/animations, it has never been re-released.

That apart, I always associated that tiger with breakfast cereal and my personal choice for petroleum spirit was always to "Go well with Shell" as instructed by the late Michael Holliday, or to "Call at de Esso sign, for Esso extra" as instructed by a gentlemen of Caribbean origin...

Perverse little swine I was, even then!!

lilith said...

This post is rather over the top of my head....*ouch*

Sen. C.R.O'Blene said...

Lils - try saying the last line with a bit of 'commonality' (I know you can't)...

"Where the f**** that..."

Thanks for explaining anyway...

I've been very worried about this post ever since I stuck it on the blog - hmmm.....

lilith said...

Ha ha Ha I geddit! Your posts are so multifaceted sometimes Scrobs..you have to get the approach in the right gear :-) Did you know Thomas is back blogging?

http://scottonpinkney.blogspot.com/

Anonymous said...

This is getting like the oldies section in the pub,reminicing about old times,remember the film, well I think it was on the Roxy in Birkenhead,must run trubes will figure out that the last time I was around I had a go about the sinking pier in Liverpool :-)

Sen. C.R.O'Blene said...

Anon 00.36

Yup.