Sunday 28 May 2023

Cinema show...

 


I've had several copies of this fabulous song for well over forty years, and it's still as fresh and vibrant as it must have been when it was played in Paris in 1976!

I've always admired Bill Bruford as one of the greatest drummers ever, but he and Phil Collins just bring the house down with this version, and the keyboard work by Tony Banks is mesmerising, especially when you think that this was all 'live'!

Apparently, when the song was first thought of, Mike Rutherford a started a small, simple riff, Peter Gabriel changed the characters to 'Romeo and Juliet' and the end piece was just built on a few phrases, but what a performance!

(The graphics are just hilarious as well...)!



4 comments:

Span Ows said...

remember this from 'Seconds Out!' the first double album I ever bought! Then went to see them at Knebworth in '78, great memories!

Scrobs. said...

I wish I'd been there then, Span Ows!

They didn't play it when we were at Knebworth in 1993, but it's still a favourite, and this version is the best!

'Seconds Out' was also my first double album, and the original cassette is in my shed with an old ghetto-blaster to hand...

Great music for their time!

Thud said...

classic.

Sen. C.R.O'Blene said...

After all these years, it's still a firm favourite, Thud!

I'm not sure if Steve Hacket does it these days, but he was pretty good back then, and claimed that 'Selling England' was his favourite album with the band, and I tend to agree!