Friday 7 February 2020

Chenier, Young and 'The Boss'...

Around this time of year, Scrobs recalls a few things which happened, and what happened later! This post seems a bit miserable, but there's no reason for it, other than I've learned something interesting - again, and maybe it's all linked! In fact, things are also pretty positive around now, with February becoming the new March, thanks to some kid whose parents told her to tell the world (I haven't stolen your childhood dear, your problem to get over is to understand real grown-ups), and plants, flowers and greenery start to re-appear!

The other evening, I was tootling around on YouTube, as a fireside malt and a pair of earphones is rather a pleasant occupation about then, and for no other reason, I watched the excerpt from the flick 'Philadelphia', where Tom and Denzel get together to discuss a few things...



It's an incredibly powerful scene, and part of a learning curve for Scrobs, as he was watching the film with daughters at the time it came out, and hearing their views on Aids as well, which was enlightening.

So, while listening to Maria Callas, I checked the 'comments', and someone had said that he wondered if anyone had ever heard anything about 'Andre Chenier', before the film made it popular. My first thought was 'pompous arse', but then thought again, and realised that yup, I had never heard of that particular opera, so a further few clicks were necessary, and then a whole lot of memories just tumbled out, such that the tincture glass needed a refill of some proportions.

The original theme of 'Streets of Philadelphia' by Bruce Springsteen is all-time favourite, mainly because I reckon such a simple but powerful opening drum and synth - C to Emin - combination 
shows real class... 


I was once coming off the M2, on the slip road up to Brenley Corner, to get to Canterbury, and when this theme started, in a few moments, I suddenly realised that as my mum was so lost in the arms of Alzheimer's, I'd never be able to talk to her again! It wasn't a happy thought; the rest of the journey down to the city was pretty miserable, but she was in safe hands and there you go!

The final scene of the film has Neil Young doing what he does best, and this song is also just as heartbreaking...

So there we are, Scrobs now on a third Glenlivet, (large), and still thinking about the 'comment' on Andre Chenier! Why not go the whole hog then!

Hellfire!

Just watch this final scene from Umberto Giordano's opera, and feel, like I did, that it really is time to come down from the ceiling!   



I'm glad that I saw all this at the same time. Thank you 'Commenter'! 

I'm also glad that it wasn't a Tuesday or a Wednesday, when Scrobs forsakes all things tincture, to help a past weekend recovery, and look forward to a new one!

                  







6 comments:

A K Haart said...

The only time I saw my dad close to tears was when he admitted to himself and to me that Mum was lost to him through dementia and he could no longer even say goodbye.

But as you say, plants, flowers and greenery have started to re-appear and things are looking up.

goosegirl said...

For some reason operas are not my thing, but there is one song that seemed to transgress and broke all the rules when Freddie Mercury sang with Montserrat Cabbale. Just listen to the awesome passion between them when they sing Barcelona. One is a trained opera singer and the other is someone who could take you down many roads whether it be rock, stoned, bicycle tracks, or will even show you how to hoover your carpet! You decide which is which - ha!

Scrobs. said...

They do indeed, Mr H.

It's a rotten admission to accept, and while I try to do the Telegraph crossword, I still have six 'blanks' at the end, where I just can't fathom the answers

Scrobs. said...

I'm on the case as we speak, GG!

Being a softy at heart, it'll probably demand much more than a hug...

goosegirl said...

Save some kisses for me and some more kisses for me.
Bye-bye baby, bye-bye!
Your telegraph wires have been so long well expired
That even the Morse code with Lewis (of course)
Will never persuade me to reveal all my sources
Except for my well-worn Thesaurus.
Print out the Graudian daily then give me an update
Of to where you have got when you've had a small tot.
It'll take more than a hug and installing a bug
Then pay for a hotel with a patio hot tub!






Scrobs. said...

Like the bit about the hot tub, GG...