Wednesday 27 August 2014

Mad architects spend all their time on dreams...

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-2735522/City-sky-Ambitious-tower-block-house-thousands-people-schools-offices-shops-parks.html

I've spent much of my life coping with architects. I've sold ordinary building stuff to them, worked with them in designs for serious projects, like prisons, (the design of the gutters on Elmley Prison, is all down to me, so beat that), had to put up with their silly ideas, laughed at some of their jokes, listened to their odd foibles, but on the whole, they're a good bunch of guys and gals, and we've normally got on pretty well.

This idea for London does give me palpitations though. Thinking of those monstrosities just North of the Blackwall Tunnel, reminds me of the awful arrogance of serial designers, who should really have been taken away long before they learned to use a pencil. I think this is a similar case for treatment!

9 comments:

Macheath said...

I'm intrigued by the drawings showing happy occupants leaning over waist-high railings on the upper floors - they unaccountably left out the ones cowering under the tables with their eyes tight shut.

A K Haart said...

It's so extraordinarily brilliant that only architects should be allowed to live there. To show how much we adore them.

A K Haart said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Sen. C.R.O'Blene said...

Ha ha ha, Macheath! Marvellous, and I would do the same!

When BT moved into Newgate Street, I was visiting once and became glued to the back of their floor-walkers, and never ever looked over the edge, so what these numbskulls are getting, is beyond me!

Sen. C.R.O'Blene said...

There's a tale there, Mr H.

Erno Goldfinger decided to promote his ugly tower monstrosities by living there himself for a spell.

I reckon he'd have done just a few weeks before getting altitude sickness/mugged/weed on/deafened by the noise coming from the next flat...

I still reckon that all these disgusting designs should be reproduced in their original printed form, i.e. rolled up in a tight tube, and inserted in the expected cavity.

Folk lore suggests that Goldfinger actually kicked a building material rep down the stairs from his office, for some reason only known to himself!

Electro-Kevin said...

A McSandwich

We're going to need quite a few of those.

Thud said...

Like you I have mixed feelings but after seeing the many self designed monstrosities on view in America I'll have to come down on the side of architects.

Sen. C.R.O'Blene said...

Not really understanding what you mean, Elecs, but I'm sure you're right...

Sen. C.R.O'Blene said...

Your Bothy is an inspiration, Thud!

And I wish I could have bought you a pint of your favourite lager on topping out!

Or perhaps several pints - eh?

Welcome home anyway, I hope the Thud clan are well rested and ready for the interior decorating..;0)