Saturday 23 July 2011

Amy and Karen RIP...

I'm a bit perturbed to learn that Amy Winehouse is dead.

Throughout today, for several periods of time, I've had this fabulous song going through my ol' grey head - like whistling and humming and the rest, including the drum bit before the choir gets going...

The guitar solo is probably the best ever recorded - without exception, and I play that regularly in the shed with a pair of shears, or a trowel or something. I was intending to post this tomorrow.

Sad all this; two hugely talented girls, lost in some awful entertainment fuelled morass.

4 comments:

Nick Drew said...

yes, and to think the Carpenters lost half their fan-base when *gasp* a rock guitar was used !

sorry and all that, but Rumer just ain't another Karen

Sen. C.R.O'Blene said...

Karen's voice was just magic Nick.

When my Uncle Bill died, we all had a bit of his past and I took a couple of brass things, a beautiful watch (later stolen in a burglary) and this Carpenters Album (LP).

This 'Goodbye' song just works with me.

I'm so sorry that such lovely talent disappears so soon.

Philipa said...

Yes Amy Winehouse was only 27. Tragic.

But Karen Carpenter's problem wasn't drugs but anorexia. According to the biopic it was low self-esteem caused by her mother. Some parents have a lot to answer for. From the outside they look nice, middle-class good parents but the reality isn't quite as lovely as it seems.

They can really f--- you up, your mum and dad.

Electro-Kevin said...

Happy Birthday, Scrobs.